Thursday 20 February 2020

Abir Mukherjee - A Rising Man


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very enjoyable

I enjoyed A Rising Man very much. It’s engaging, well- researched and well written.

Set in Calcutta in 1919, Sam Wyndham is an inspector newly arrived from Scotland Yard to join the Indian police force. He is immediately needed to investigate a violent death with apparently political overtones and a good, enthralling plot ensues as Sam and his new sidekick Sergeant Banerjee combat the machinations of the powerful ruling elite, Military Intelligence and so on.

In truth, experienced readers of the genre will have little trouble in spotting the false leads and probably the villains, both major and minor, in the story. I didn’t mind that, though; it was well enough written to keep me engrossed and the background of India under the Raj was extremely well done. Some of the language used was more 21st-Century American than early 20th-Century upper-crust British, but I got used to it and again the story and setting were good enough to make this scarcely relevant.

I’ll certainly be reading the next books in this series and I can recommend this warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment