Wednesday 27 November 2019

Louis Theroux - Gotta Get Theroux This


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good

I thought this was very good, in spite of the dreadful title. (It’s a reference to other people’s “humorous” use of his name, but even so…).

Louis Theroux is a very intelligent, amusing, thoughtful and humane man. His TV work speaks for itself and, like many others, I have enjoyed it and learned a great deal from it. There is a good deal of interesting insight here into how Louis got into making documentaries, the process of making them and some of the consequences of the programmes for him and for others. What really shines through here, though, is his insights into people, including himself. He gives thoughtful, nuanced portraits of those he has met and of his own behaviour. He is honest and very self-critical at times, but also recognises the complexity of people and of human behaviour, including his own.

The spectre of Jimmy Savile looms large in the book, as it must. Louis became sort-of-friends with Savile after making a documentary about him and I found his thoughts about the whole affair fascinating and very well-balanced. For example, he describes his own complex responses to the revelations: “I felt alternately defensive, annoyed apologetic and self-critical. I was irked by the piety and self-righteousness of those critics who suggested I should have seen more. And I wished I had seen more.” And this, of the aftermath: “[Savile’s] purpose was now to make everyone else in society feel OK that they aren’t him. He had become a thought-stopping device, and a way for creepy men to make themselves look better...” I found all that very insightful, and this was true of a great deal in the book.

I found Gotta Get Theroux this a readable, stimulating and enjoyable book. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment