Friday 1 November 2019

Graeme Macrae Burnet - His Bloody Project


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Disappointing

I’m afraid I didn’t get on nearly as well with His Bloody Project as many people did and in the end I was disappointed in it.

There are good things about the book: the narrative voice is well done and largely convincing, Graeme Macrae Burnet paints a compelling picture of the hardship and repression of mid-19th-Century crofting life, the landscape is beautifully evoked and so on. However, I found that the slowness which at times seemed almost self-indulgent combined with an unremitting bleakness made it a tough, almost turgid read. I enjoyed the first hundred pages or so, but began to get very bogged down and eventually just slogged my way to the finish.

The quality of the writing and the atmosphere make this worthy of three stars, but for me it was a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment