Wednesday 20 November 2019

Jorn Lier Horst - The Cabin


Rating: 1/5

Review
Very disappointing

I am in a small minority, it seems, because I really couldn’t get on with The Cabin and eventually gave up before I finished it, which is a very rare thing for me.

The Cabin is a Norwegian police procedural and the first of the series that I have read (and the last, I suspect). A prominent politician dies and Wisting is sent to investigate what is left in the man’s holiday cabin, which leads to a dark, twisty story relating to some older cases. The trouble is that the storytelling just seemed plodding and tedious to me, with lots of detail which could have been interesting but read like a boring litany, some clumsily signalled Significant Events which the police don’t immediately spot even though it’s made pretty obvious to the reader, and so on – and the prose is lamentable in places. I don’t know how much of this is due to the author and how much to the translator, but the effect is pretty ghastly. In just the first few pages I picked out some terribly clunky writing like “’Let’s sit down,’ he said, gesturing with his hand,” some horribly stale usages like “This promised to be an investigation on a totally different level from what he was used to,” and some positively unforgivable, crashing clichés like “Amalie usually chattered nineteen to the dozen.”

It got no better and I’m afraid it became too much for me after a while. I’m very surprised to have such an unfavourable response to an author who was admired by Marcel Berlins and I am sorry to be so critical, but the truth is that I found The Cabin so poorly written that I couldn’t get through it.

(My thanks to Penguin for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment