Thursday 4 April 2019

Kate Atkinson - Case Histories


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent novel

I thoroughly enjoyed Case Histories. I’ve not always found Kate Atkinson that easy in the past, but this was excellent.

Really, it’s a series of character studies, loosely held together by a crime story. It’s a diffuse plot with several points of view in the narration, but somehow it all works extremely well. Atkinson writes beautifully and paces her story very well so I found it very gripping and kept wanting to get back to reading more, but the chief pleasure for me is her superb characterisation. She creates a wholly plausible and very diverse set of characters whose portraits are forensic, humane and very clear-sighted.

Not everything is tied up neatly at the end, which I found a strength of the book. I think it’s a brilliant piece of fiction and far more that just a crime novel. I’ll definitely be looking out the next two in the series and I can recommend this very warmly.

(My thanks to Random House for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment