Thursday 28 March 2019

Jonathan Pinnock - A Question Of Trust


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very entertaining

I thoroughly enjoyed A Question Of Trust. It follows on from The Truth About Archie And Pye, which it is probably best to read first, although this does work as a stand-alone book. It’s also better, as Jonathan Pinnock has hit his stride here, I think.

The plot is...well...bonkers, really. But that’s fine, because it’s meant to be and it makes a good story which is also very funny. Tom the hapless narrator, is again caught up in complex machinations which are well beyond his understanding as this time he is in the sights of a group of cyber-currency scammers and amoral master-criminals. There isn’t much point in trying to explain further, but it’s a very enjoyable story which is part farce, part a sort of e-James-Bond, but with a bit of an idiot as its hero. There are witty riffs on bitcoins, Hooray Henrys and other things, and I smiled a lot and laughed out loud several times.

I think Jonathan Pinnock is developing into a very good comic writer. I thought this was hugely entertaining and I can recommend it warmly.

(My thanks to Farrago for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment