Thursday 21 March 2019

Ragnar Jonasson - The Island


Rating: 2/5

Review
Not for me

I couldn’t get on at all with The Island. It sounded intriguing and I like the idea of a mystery set in “Hidden Iceland” but I found it very hard going indeed.

The story is OK, but I found it swamped by plodding descriptions and rather unconvincing characterisation. Hulda is a potentially interesting protagonist, but beset by cliché and overdone Personal Issues. My main problem, though, is the writing, which I found turgid, ridiculously padded with unnecessary detail and plagued by insultingly unnecessary explanation the whole time. The tone is set by a tediously and unnecessarily over-described little incident as a prelude which just felt...well, amateurish to me. Or take this little exchange, early on:
“ ‘I don’t believe in...” He didn’t finish.
‘That’s because you don’t know the whole story, Benni,’ she said softly, her tone hinting at something chilling left unsaid.
‘The whole story?’ he repeated helplessly. “
Every time someone speaks we have to be told more; really good dialogue speaks for itself without incessant explanation. The internal monologues didn’t convince me at all…

Enough. I didn’t like it. I’m sorry to be critical, but The Island didn’t engage or convince me at all and I can’t recommend it.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment