Thursday 18 April 2019

Linda Grant - A Stranger City


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Well written but dull

I found A Stranger City well written but ultimately unsatisfying.

It’s an oddly-structured, fractured book. The central plot, such as it is, revolves around the discovery of a body of an unidentified woman whom no-one has reported missing, and a woman who is reported missing with a lot of social media fuss at the same time, but is discovered to be fine a couple of days later. A policeman and a filmmaker collaborate to produce a documentary about the missing woman and this device is used as a vehicle for thoughts about identity and isolation in London. In fact, the book is largely taken up with portraits of the lives of incidental characters showing the diversity of London’s population, plus reflections on the difficulty of buying property in London, the vacuousness of hip PR people in London, the gentrification and trendifying of areas of London and so on. In other words, it’s a novel about London – hence the title.

It’s well enough done. Linda Grant is a good writer and her portraits are pretty well painted, although her characters do have a tendency to make speeches rather than sound spontaneous. The thing is, it all felt very familiar and I didn’t get anything very new from it. For me, the London thing has been done to death (and I live in London), Ali Smith, Jonathan Coe and others have written novels about Britain and Brexit and I just got bored with A Stranger City. I didn’t find the characters or what was being said interesting enough to keep going and I’m afraid I gave up about half way through.

This certainly isn’t a bad book; it’s just that for me it says nothing new, in spite of saying it very elegantly. Others may like this more than I did, but it wasn’t for me.

(My thanks to Virago for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment