Tuesday 15 January 2019

Steve Cavanagh - Twisted


Rating: 3/5

Review:
So-so

I was rather underwhelmed by Twisted. I had heard that Thirteen was very good, so I thought I’d try this one, but it seemed pretty run-of-the-mill stuff to me. The plot is based around a reclusive, mysterious author, JT LeBeau, whose books make millions but whose life seems to be involved with a number of murders. To say more would be a significant spoiler.

The thing is, the book is constructed entirely so that there can be “Twists”. (And just in case we don’t admire them sufficiently we’re even told by a character how very difficult this is.) I am prepared to suspend disbelief, sometimes from a considerable height for a really good book, but I found a lot of Twisted rather silly and a bit dull. The opening hundred pages or so are padded with masses of tedious and largely irrelevant detail about unconvincing characters’ lives, thoughts and so on, to the extent that I kept suspecting that the author was paid by the word, thinking “get on with it!” and skimming judiciously. I didn’t miss anything important. When things did begin to happen, nothing was much of a surprise and there are some ridiculous coincidences and some utter implausibilities: for example, a character who is obsessed with concealing his true background isn’t really sure where he left a vital document which may or may not have been stolen. Really? Later, another similarly obsessed character leaves his laptop alone with someone else and available to be read, to the extent that it doesn’t even require a password to bring it out of sleep mode. Huh? Even mine does that. And so on.

It’s well enough written to be readable, but the knowledge that we’re always being set up for the next Twist made it unengaging for me, and that knowledge meant that I saw several of the Twists coming. The ending is absurdly silly and I wasn’t all that sorry to finish it. This might be OK for a brain-off beach read or the like, but nothing more.

(My thanks to Orion for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment