Saturday 5 January 2019

Alex Micheledes - The Silent Patient


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me

I wasn’t keen on The Silent Patient. To be fair, this is partly because I don’t normally get on with psychological thrillers, but the blurb led me to expect a rather more subtle, insightful book than usual in the genre. I didn’t get it.

The set-up is well explained in the blurb: Theo Faber is a psychotherapist who becomes obsessed with treating/helping a woman who has not spoken for the six years since she was convicted of killing her husband. There follows an unconvincing plot with, inevitably A Huge Twist which, as is so often the case, means sacrificing any credibility of plot or character just to try to make the revelation a surprise to the reader. Combined with a lot of glib psychotherapyspeak I’m afraid it just made me cross. Add to this a faintly irritating writing style which on occasion isn’t afraid of being both unrealistic and using a clunking cliché at the same time (“I became resolved to stop at nothing until Alicia became my patient”) and has a habit of ending chapters with that Punchy Sentence technique, like “I wondered why Christian was so positive I would fail. But it made me even more determined to succeed.” which I began to wait for like the next drop in the Water Torture. I was, frankly, glad to get to the end.

Fans of the psychological thriller have plainly enjoyed this far more than I did, but personally I can’t recommend it.

(My thanks to Orion for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment