Sunday 27 January 2019

Monty Python Speaks! - Edited by David Morgan


Rating: 4/5

Review:
...he's a very naughty boy!

I enjoyed Monty Python Speaks. It gives a chronological account of Python from its birth through interview extracts with all six male Pythons, Carol Cleveland and others involved in the production. It’s not especially funny, but it’s interesting and entertaining.

I should probably say that I was about 15 when Python began on TV and was soon a devotee, so I have more interest in this than some other people may. I enjoyed reading about the group dynamics, the details of the writing process and the films – especially Life Of Brian. I could perhaps have done without such detailed chronicling of the exact nature of the funding and release of different programmes and films in the USA, but I suppose it’s good to have these things on record – and one can always resort to skimming.

I’m not sure I learned much that was really new, but I’m glad to have a fuller picture of the characters involved and the key events – the frank discussion of Graham Chapman’s alcoholism and his contribution to the group was especially interesting to me, for instance.

This is a good book to dip into, and I often found myself reading more at a sitting than I expected to, which is a good sign. Recommended.

(My thanks to Fourth Estate for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment