Monday 12 March 2018

Tony Parsons - Die Last


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Gripping and intelligent



This is a gripping and intelligent police thriller from Tony Parsons.  It's the fourth in the Max Wolfe series, but I read it without having read the previous three and enjoyed it very much.

This time, DC Max Wolfe investigates people trafficking after twelve women are found dead in the back of a lorry.  It's a well-researched and passionately angry story which it moves at a very brisk pace and kept me gripped throughout.  Parsons writes very well; I found Max's narrative voice very convincing, the characters and background well painted and the story itself largely believable.  There are some fairly significant implausibilities at times, one or two unlikely coincidences, but in a work of fiction like this I didn't find them too off-putting.

This is a very good, exciting read which makes important points while largely avoiding preaching or speechifying.  I enjoyed it and can recommend it warmly.

(My thanks to Cornerstone for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment