Sunday 25 March 2018

Christopher Fowler - Hall Of Mirrors


Rating: 4/5

Review:
An entertaining read


I enjoyed Hall Of Mirrors.  It is the first Bryant and May book I have read; it works fine as a stand-alone novel, but I suspect that there are quite a few running gags and references which I'd have picked up better if I had read some of the previous ones.

It is 1969 and, following a major debacle while in pursuit of a suspect, Arthur and John are sent to a crumbling stately home in Kent to guard a threatened witness in a forthcoming high-profile trial.  A good deal of chaos ensues, including a number of deaths, and an Agatha Christie-like mystery develops. 

It's a very well written tale and Christopher Fowler has a lot of fun both recreating and sometimes tweaking the nose of the Golden Age country-house mysteries.  There is some genuine humour and the period is very well evoked, while the story itself is actually a pretty decent puzzle with two engaging protagonists and an enjoyable cast of characters.

If I have a gripe, it is that at 400 pages the book is too long and did begin to drag on a bit, but it's an enjoyable, entertaining read with some good social history underpinning it.  Recommended.

(My thanks to Doubleday for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment