Friday 2 March 2018

Michael Innes - Appleby's End


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Odd but enjoyable



This instalment of the Appleby series is from 1945, and it has all of Innes's typical hallmarks; the dry wit, the literary allusions and the intricate puzzle are all there.  However, it also has a sort of bizarre Gothic feel about it, with odd names, very odd characters and so on.  I found this quite amusing, and a welcome change from the academic settings its predecessor, The Weight Of The Evidence.

I find I have to space my Innes books out quite widely these days or they become just a bit arch and knowing, but as an occasional fun read they remain very enjoyable and I can recommend Appleby's End to anyone who likes a witty and well written crime novel.



(My thanks to Ipso books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment