Tuesday 18 April 2017

John Donne - The Complete John Donne


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good e-edition



This is a very good e-edition of Donne's complete poetry and prose works.

Donne's writing needs no critique from me.  His poetry, in particular, has been a love of mine for many years; I have printed editions of his work, I have some of his shorter poems by heart and I read A Nocturnal Upon St. Lucy's Day at every winter solstice.  (And yes, I know that's no longer St. Lucy's Day, but I read it then because 'tis the yeares midnight.)  I wanted an edition to keep handy on my Kindle.  This fits the bill admirably.

This edition is well laid-out; the formatting is good and I found finding and navigating from the Contents to a particular poem or prose work pretty simple.  Spelling and punctuation have been modernised which suits me well in some contexts, although I am very glad to have my beautiful old print edition with Donne's somewhat chaotic approach to both spelling and punctuation because I enjoy that very much, too.  Here, Donne's words are as clear as they can be and it's an excellent reading edition.  So far as I can tell as a lay person, the works are accurately reproduced and this is a comprehensive edition.

At under a quid, this is an unmissable bargain for me, and I can recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment