Wednesday 26 April 2017

Hanif Kureishi - The Nothing


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Brilliant writing



Hmmm.  This is a tricky one to review because  I enjoyed reading The Nothing, but I'm not really sure what it added up to in the end.

Hanif Kureishi's short novel is narrated by Waldo, an elderly, dying, once-feted filmmaker who has had, shall we say, a colourful past.  He is now bed- and wheelchair bound and begins to suspect that his younger wife is conducting an affair with an old acquaintance who takes sanctuary in their flat.  How things play out is a large part of the pleasure of this book so to say more would be too much of a spoiler, but there are some darkly humorous and sometimes shocking developments as suspicion and plotting on all sides develop.

Kureishi writes brilliantly and the book is a pleasure to read.  Waldo's voice is completely convincing as a self-absorbed, lubricious, often vengeful man who was plainly both an extremely talented artist and often a deeply unpleasant person to work with (…"one of my scribblers. A bastard I thrashed into talent," gives you an idea) and who is now facing his own death with something like equanimity.  The prose is very readable, and scattered with neat observations, like "Drugs had given me a faux bravery but they stopped me taking risks.  Every outrage has to be earned; you cannot cheat reality,"  and also dry humour like "After all, a saint is only someone who has been under-researched."  There is a great deal of very frank talk about sex, both in the language used and what is said with it, which I found completely in character but some readers may like to be warned.  It's also a tale of a lot of pretty unpleasant people doing pretty unpleasant things much of the time, but it still made enjoyable and absorbing reading.

I'm not sure whether The Nothing really says a great deal that is new or profound, but it's a brilliant character study, I found it a very good read and I can recommend it with a little caution.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment