Thursday 13 April 2017

James Delbourgo - Collecting the World


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Tough going



My word, this was hard work!  It's thorough, remarkably well researched and with a firm purpose in mind, but as a readable biography I found it pretty tough going.

Hans Sloane was at the centre of The Enlightenment and his collections of objects of all kinds formed the basis of what became The British Museum.  He was an immensely significant figure in the development of Western civilization, and I was keen to find out more about him and what he actually did.  I like to read a good biography and am perfectly prepared to put in a fair amount of work to understand and digest what is written about someone, but this wasn't really for me.  I suspect that it may be much better suited for academic reference – I think it is significant that about one-third of the book's 500-odd pages are devoted to notes, references and the index.

James Delbourgo has done a colossal amount of research in compiling this book.  He likens trying to understand Sloane through his collections to the futility of those who tried to understand Citizen Kane through his work.  He attempts to reveal the man through his correspondence and his huge network of acquaintances throughout the world, and it is a strong thesis of the book that the collecting was not solely conducted by Sloane but a huge collaborative effort which Sloane largely maintained and co-ordinated.  It's decently done, but I found the immense wealth of detail and slightly stodgy style hard to take in large quantities.  This read more like a textbook than something intended for a more general readership (and the dense, small type doesn't help), and as a result I didn't really feel I'd got to the man himself.

This may be just me and others may fare better.  Plainly this is a work of fine scholarship which will be of real value to students of the period.  Personally, however, I can't recommend Collecting The World as the readable, illuminating book I was hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment