Friday 6 January 2017

Miranda Emmerson - Miss Treadway and the Field Of Stars


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Disappointing



I expected to like this book a lot, but I'm afraid I found it rather dull.  It tries to make important points about race and diversity in general, but it didn't engage me enough to make them with any force.

The story, set in late 1965 is ostensibly about the disappearance of an actress and the attempts of her dresser (the eponymous Anna Treadway) and the police to locate her.  In fact, it is largely about the characters of the story and lengthy back-stories are rather ploddingly revealed of Anna herself, a West Indian man whom she meets, a Cypriot café-owner, a Northern Irish police sergeant and so on and so on.  It was all reasonably competently done, but I never became involved enough in the characters to care sufficiently so it just got rather boring, I'm afraid.

Part of the problem is the period setting.  I am, sadly, old enough to remember the mid-60s, and this just didn't feel like that time to me.  Again, it wasn't badly done as such; there were only a few anachronisms in speech and nothing stood out as being out of place, but I never got any real sense of period either.  There are some slightly clunky topical references to try to establish the period, but I just never felt that I was there somehow.

This is not an actively bad book by any means.  Miranda Emerson writes decent prose and it's all perfectly competent, but I just couldn't find any real period atmosphere or interest in the characters.  Others have plainly enjoyed this far more than I did, but I can't really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment