Friday 13 January 2017

Mario Giordano - Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Slightly disappointing



I expected to enjoy this rather more than I did.  It's not bad, but it could have done with a good deal more focus and a good deal less background and self-conscious quirkiness.

Aunti Poldi is a Bavarian woman who, at the age of about 60, moves back to Sicily to be with her sisters and drink herself to death.  However, a murder mystery and a handsome policeman begin to restore her.  Poldi herself is a real Character – rather too much so, for my taste.  Her "characterful" behaviour became increasingly implausible and eventually rather annoying at times.  Also, the story is slow.  This isn't necessarily a problem, but I found the long digressions into Sicilian culture, customs, geology, history and so on got in the way quite badly; I could really have done without several pages on the history of Sicilian sulphur mining, for example.  When the plot finally comes to a head the climax is ridiculous, with a hopelessly implausible Cornered Killer Climax From Which She Only Narrowly Escapes.  I do realise that this isn't supposed to be particularly realistic, but even making generous allowances for this, it was pretty silly.

It's not a bad book and has it's moments of humour; some of the characters are rather well drawn and we do get a strong sense of place, even if it's overdone at times. However, I found it a bit of a slog and can only give it a rather lukewarm recommendation.  This is the start of a series, but it's not a series I'll be rushing to read., I'm afraid.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment