Monday 30 January 2017

Maxwell Marsh - Rogues' Holiday


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Unworthy of Allingham's name



Rogue's Holiday was written by Margery Allingham under a pseudonym to be serialised as a potboiler because she needed the income before her Campion novels began to make sufficient money.  I'm afraid it shows, because there is none of Allingham's later brilliant wit, subtle characterisation or skilful plot development here.  It's a clunky, hackneyed book which I got very fed up with.

The story is of David Blest, a brilliant, handsome young Scotland Yard inspector who, unhappy with the investigation of a death in a Gentleman's Club, takes a couple of weeks' leave on the south coast at the hotel where the man he suspects is staying.  A frankly, silly plot develops: Blest takes less than a day to fall hopelessly in love with a young woman at the hotel, who is not All She Seems.  Naturally, it turns out that the entire business revolves around her, with murder, kidnapping, eccentric wills, sinister outsiders and so on all making their due appearance.  The clichés, remarkable coincidences and unconvincing characters continue to mount, culminating in Blest making a Dangerous Last Minute Dash to save his beloved from the clutches of the Evil Enemy. (I obviously wouldn't dream of spoiling the ending by revealing whether he succeeds.)

I read this because I love Margery Allingham's Campion series, which are fine, superbly written novels.  However, by about half way through Rogue's Holiday I had muttered, "Oh, for heavens' sake" (I paraphrase) so many times that I began to skim, and really didn't feel I was missing much.  I suppose it's right that a book from Allingham's pen should be published, but it's pretty poor and really doesn't do any favours to a genuine great of the genre.  My advice: avoid this and stick to Campion.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment