Monday 4 April 2016

Sarah Hilary - Tastes Like Fear


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good crime novel



I thought this was a good, rather exciting book.  It is well written, has believable characters and is reasonably plausible, although it does become a bit predictably silly as the climax approaches.

Tastes Like Fear is a police procedural novel –which has the immense merit of the police actually following procedure much of the time.   This means that the story involving the disappearance of young girls in London and the investigation of the death of one of them does ring reasonably true for most of the book.  The two central police officers, DI Marnie Rome and DS Nathan Jake are well drawn and engaging protagonists whose personal lives don't intrude too much into the story.  I found the prose easy to read and the plot well paced and well structured with some nicely concealed surprises, although the obligatory Race Against Time Climax did seem pretty contrived to me.  I'm also not really convinced by the psychology and motives of the killer – but then, that's true of an awful lot of crime novels and it was a lot less implausible than many I have read.

I was quite gripped by the story and I enjoyed the book; small reservations aside, this is an enjoyable and involving book which I can recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment