Saturday 23 April 2016

Nicola Barker - The Cauliflower


Rating: 2/5

Review: Too much dazzle



I tried.  I really did.  It is rare for me to give up on a book and I carried on long after I felt like stopping, but in the end I just lost the will to bother with this any more.

I can see the point here: Nicola Barker is trying to convey aspects of faith and its effect and to do it in an original, sometimes irreverent way.  It's virtuosic writing, with wild, unsignposted cuts between times and places, with different narrative voices and with varying styles including the odd remark addressed directly to the reader…and so on.  I really don't mind this sort of thing in principle and sometimes enjoy it a lot, but here…well, frankly, I just didn't care much about any of it.  It was so tricksy that any interest in the story or message just got lost for me and after what I think is a pretty creditable effort in persevering through far more of the book than I wanted to I felt my duty had been done and I put it aside with considerable relief.

I see that The Guardian's review of The Cauliflower describes it as "typically atypical, expectedly unexpected and inexplicably good".  Well, the first two, maybe, but I thought it explicably bad – the explanation for me being that the "dazzlingly non-pedestrian style" (Herald) is so "dazzling" that I couldn't see anything else, and being dazzled isn't something I enjoy.

So…not for me, I'm afraid.  Others have clearly enjoyed this far more than I did;  you may too, but I really didn't.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment