Thursday 28 April 2016

James Henry - Blackwater


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Rather ordinary



This started quite well, but in the end I got pretty tired of it, I'm afraid.  It's a fairly competently-written police procedural set in Colchester in 1983, but neither the plot nor the setting really did much for me.

We're introduced to DI Nick Lowry, who is clearly going to have a series written about him.  He's a brilliant, fearless and inspiring but modest CID man whose boss is a sexist, drunken dinosaur.  The plot revolves around drug smuggling and dodgy goings on at the local army base…plus a load of stuff about Lowry's unfaithful, unreliable wife, the romantic leanings (or otherwise) of Lowry's "team" – a fast-tracked, highly educated DC and a WPC who just happens to be an ex-model.  (Yes, you heard right – an ex-model.)  I rather enjoyed the first hundred pages or so, but the book goes on for the best part of 500 pages and it's just slow, unnecessarily convoluted and not quite convincing in too many ways.  I got to page 300 with a sinking feeling that I still had 200 pages to wade through if I wanted to find out what happened.  A rigorous edit down to 350 pages would have helped a lot.

It's not actively bad, but there's an awful lot of unnecessary and tedious padding – three pages of wholly irrelevant description of trivial events just so the dinosaur boss can find out a routine piece of information, for example – and I began muttering "for God's sake get on with it" to myself, and it goes on so much that I rather lost my grip on the convoluted which involved dozens of names without much character attached.  Even the main characters are somewhat stereotyped and there's a good deal of stale cliché in the writing; "..going nineteen to the dozen…",  "..he took it upon himself to…" and so on.  Nothing frightful, but it's pretty ordinary stuff, really, and I felt the same about the period, which didn’t quite permeate the book as it should.

I can't say I'll be looking out for future Lowry books.  This might make a decent brain-off beach read but I can't really recommend it beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment