Tuesday 29 March 2016

Urban Waite - The Terror of Living


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Gripping and well written

I didn't like the title of this book much and almost allowed it to put me off, but I am very glad I didn't. I thought it was very good - well written, extremely exciting, thoughtful and morally complex. It is a story of a drug-smuggling run intercepted and its consequences for those involved, directly and indirectly, on all sides. Set in the far North-West of the USA, the landscape is beautifully evoked and provides a great backdrop for a thrilling story.

The writing is excellent: the style of short, unemotional sentences describing sometimes very exciting or horrific scenes was extremely effective. The narrative is in brief sections and switches between different parts of the action as the story unfolds. This can be a very difficult trick to pull off, but I thought it was very well done here and it kept me reading well after I should have gone to sleep. The characters are well drawn with a very deft, light touch and are generally believable. I did think that the back-story of the Deputy's father was somewhat implausible and unnecessary and the moral compass it provided was somewhat dubious, but it scarcely interfered with the story and others may feel differently about it.

In short, this is a very gripping, unusually well-written thriller and is warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment