Sunday 13 March 2016

Charles Frazier - Nightwoods


Rating: 3/5

Review:
A little self-indulgent?
 
I'm afraid I found this book quite a struggle. It is exceptionally well written with lovely, unfussy and evocative prose and the whole thing is extremely atmospheric, but something about it just failed to engage me. It is very slow in pace, which I normally don't mind at all in a well written book, but for me this began to feel just a bit self-conscious and self-indulgent.

It's a decent story and the period and location of an isolated Appalachian lodge are beautifully evoked. Many people have enjoyed it hugely and I am quite prepared to accept that the fault here lies with me rather than the book so don't let me put you off, but for me it just didn't quite work.

No comments:

Post a Comment