Sunday 20 March 2016

Peter Gardos - Fever At Dawn


Rating: 2/5

Review: 
Not for me



This is a difficult review for me to write.  A story inspired by the author's parents' real meeting in the aftermath of the Holocaust ought to be a moving and uplifting account of the triumph of the human spirit, and it seems churlish to criticise a book with such subject matter, but the truth is I don't think it's very well done.  As a result, I found it turgid and a slog to get through.

I wanted to like the book, but I didn't.  I'm afraid that I found the prose rather clumsy and the characters both somewhat unbelievable and faintly irritating.  It's basically a RomCom in a very serious setting (although there is a good deal of "comedy" too – none of which I found very funny), and it didn't engage me at all. 

Peter Gardos' family history obviously gives him the right to tell such a story, and I am reluctant to be critical of it or him.  All I can say is that some members of my own family survived of the Holocaust and others died in the Camps, so perhaps I have the right not to like it.  I'm afraid I don't and, unlike many others, I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment