Monday 8 February 2016

Gillian Galbraith - The Good Priest


Rating: 3/5

Review:
OK, but...

I thought this was a reasonably readable mystery, but it didn't quite hit the spot for me. It's the story of a priest in a small Scottish town who learns of a crime via the confessional. As apparently unrelated murders begin to seem linked to the crime he has to wrestle with his conscience, and (of course) to put himself in danger in order to solve the mystery. There are Unexpected Twists and, naturally, a Dangerous Face-to-Face Final Encounter With The Killer.

If it all sounds a bit stale and predictable...well, it is a bit. It's not terrible by any means but it doesn't really come to life for me. If you're dealing with now well-worn themes and the hero being Thwarted And Disbelieved At Every Turn you really need something special in the way of character or writing and this hasn't really got it. Gillian Galbraith works hard at developing her characters and giving a vivid sense of place, but I was always aware of her working at it so it never really involved me in either the people or the story and I found much of it dispiritingly predictable.

I'm sorry to be critical. Others have enjoyed this very much so do read their reviews before being put off by mine. There's nothing actually wrong with the book, but it did very little for me and I won't be bothering with Fr. Vincent Ross again, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment