Monday 29 February 2016

Gabrielle Zevin - All These Things I've Done


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not really for me

This book is a reasonably engaging, light read. In fairness, I am not its target audience and just because this male grumpy old git didn't enjoy it all that much doesn't mean you won't, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the story, the characters or the development of a potentially interesting setting.

The plot and setting is well summarised elsewhere, so I'll spare you another recap. The story is rather slow to get going but picks up fairly well and has enough interest to hold the attention. It has an original-sounding setting in a dystopian future New York, but the sense of time and place were disappointingly underdeveloped. The characters were reasonably well done but seemed to me to be a fairly bland set of stock figures, often placed in versions of pretty familiar situations. I never really engaged with them, which meant that the romance at the heart of the book fell rather flat for me.

It is generally well-written (apart from the odd moment of very clunky dialogue) which makes it flow smoothly and means it is easy to read. It is plainly aimed principally at young women and I suggest that you read some of the more favourable reviews from them before deciding whether or not it will be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment