Tuesday 20 October 2015

Nicci French - Waiting for Wednesday


Rating: 4/5

Review:
The best of the series so far

I enjoyed this book and I think it is the best of the series so far. It can be read as a stand-alone book but I would strongly recommend reading the others first, even if they aren't quite so good.

Here, Freida Klein is recovering from her last involvement with the police and reluctantly gets drawn into another investigation. She becomes personally entangled again and pursues another of her feelings down another solitary, dangerous road. It's a well-told tale in good, readable prose and I found it pretty gripping a lot of the time. Frieda herself is a complex, not always likeable character which is a strength of the book, and the plot (well, plots, really) are nicely paced and developed, and there are some very well done and insightful character portraits - the sister of the murder victim, especially.

I still have my reservations, I'm afraid. Among them are Frieda's rather frequent implausibly silly behaviour in putting herself at risk, the fact that she now has not one but two arch-enemies, one of them an almost pantomimically dreadful rival psychologist. It felt just a bit overblown at times and could have done with a little tightening up.

Overall, though, it's an involving read and a good (in places very good) crime novel and I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment