Wednesday 7 October 2015

Jane Shemilt - The Drowning Lesson


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Rather generic and unengaging



I'm afraid I got a bit fed up with this book.  It's competently written and has its good points, but overall I found it generic, a bit unconvincing and rather predictable in many ways.

The story is narrated by Emma, a high-powered obstetric surgeon who begins to realise that she is neglecting her family due to being so ambitious and driven at work, so agrees to go with the family to Botswana where her husband has been offered an important research post.  It is revealed in the first couple of pages that when they get there her baby son is taken from his cot, which drives the plot.

The book is written in the now apparently obligatory fractured time-frame with the circumstances leading up to the abduction intercut with events afterwards, with added flashbacks to childhood which give convenient pop-psychological explanations for Emma's driven competitiveness.  It all feels very formulaic, I'm afraid.  I do admire Jane Shemilt for creating a rather unsympathetic protagonist, which is a brave move, and the medical background is very well portrayed, but I eventually got rather bored.  The style felt like so many other creative-writing-course-influenced books, with the same little tropes and tics of vocabulary and structure, the plot wasn't that gripping and neither the characters nor the background were sufficiently well drawn to engage me properly.  And, of course, Emma learns her Important Life Lesson by the end.

This isn't dreadful, by any means. It is competently written and does have some merits, but overall I found it rather dull and I can't really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment