Saturday 17 October 2015

Holly Bourne - Am I Normal Yet?


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!



What an utterly brilliant book!  I took a bit of a chance on it because I am not in the target audience being male and in my early 60s…and I thought it was absolutely terrific.  It is completely engaging, very funny in places and has some very important things to say.

The book is narrated in the first person by 16-year-old Evie, who has OCD and anxiety which have meant that she has spent some time in psychiatric institutions in the past.  As the book opens she is recovering and starting Sixth-Form College.  This is the story of her struggles (and joys) with friends, boys, her family and her illness.  It is brilliantly done; Evie's voice is completely engaging and convincing, characters and her perceptions of them are excellently drawn and Evie's thoughts about her mental state seem utterly real to me.  Obviously, I'm not the ideal person to judge the accuracy of this portrait of what goes on inside a teenage girl's head, but as a male ex-teenager (all right, a *very* ex-teenager) I found it absolutely convincing. 

I also thought that Evie's OCD and anxiety and her thoughts and attitudes to it were superbly done.  There have been some superb books written from the point of view of someone with a mental illness; Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident…, Nathan Filer's The Shock Of the Fall and Gavin Extence's The Mirror World of Melody Black spring to mind.  I think this is the equal of any of them, which is really saying something.  It is lighter in style and an easier read, and I laughed out loud very regularly - but that's a good thing, and this still has all the insight, compassion and depth of those great books.  (And the short section headed "What Really Pisses Me Off About People And Mental Health Problems" are the most insightful, the funniest, the angriest and the truest three pages I have read for a very long time indeed.)

Just as important as this is the theme of feminism, the effects of sexism in all its forms and how damaging it is to women, *and* to men.  Holly Bourne articulates this brilliantly and it is a real joy for me to read ideas in which I have believed profoundly for many years, expressed with such clarity, wit and humanity.  I wish that every 15- and 16-year-old, male and female, would read this.  I wish *I'd* read it when I was that age, too – but at least I've been able to read it now.

I'm sorry to gush, but I really thought this was something very special.  It is gripping, engaging and genuinely profound, and although it is aimed at Young Adults I think adults of any age would enjoy it and get a huge amount out of it.  I certainly did, and I would urge anyone to read it.  It's terrific.

No comments:

Post a Comment