Saturday 22 October 2022

M.R. James - Ghost Stories of an Antiquary

 

Rating: 5/5
 
Review:
A delight 
 
 I re-read these stories with immense pleasure.  I don’t much like being frightened, but these aren’t so much terrifying as enjoyably unsettling.  They are masterpieces of implication and atmosphere, with the occasional overt shock.

I really like the donnish narrative voice, the wit and erudition and the fact that all the stories are based in scholarly activity of some kind.  James sets a wonderful tone and his character portraits are a delight, with flashes of real wit and insight.  For example, of one minor character he says “...he was then just become a Fellow of Clare Hall, Cambridge, I may say, and subsequently brought out a respectable edition of Polyaenus…”  I just love that “respectable” (and, by the way, I hadn’t heard of Polyaenus either).   In another place we get, “…tea was taken to the accompaniment of a discussion which golfing persons can imagine for themselves, but which the conscientious writer has no right to inflict upon any non-golfing persons.”  I find it a delight to read.

These stories are tightly regarded as classics, but they are classics which I read just for the pleasure of it and not, as with a number of other “classics,” because I feel I ought to.  I can recommend them very warmly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment