Saturday 8 October 2022

Margaret Kennedy - The Feast

 

Rating: 5/5
 
Review:
A terrific read 
 
I thought The Feast was excellent.  It was a recommendation about which I was slightly dubious, but I thought it was a delight: witty, perceptive and exceptionally well written.

First published in 1947, it is the story of a disparate group of adults and children who stay at a rather run-down Cornish hotel.  It is principally a novel of character, with seven of the characters representing the Seven Deadly Sins.  This may sound rather clumsy and preachy, but I found it very shrewd and a pleasure to read.  Things happen at a good pace and the people are beautifully portrayed with an exceptional subtlety, clarity and insight.  I found myself wholly immersed in it and was very sorry when it ended.

This really was an enjoyable treat for me and I can recommend it very warmly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment