Thursday 1 September 2022

C.S. Forester - Lord Hornblower

 

Rating: 3/5

Review:
A dip in my enjoyment

I have recently re-read most of this series for the fifth or sixth time with immense pleasure. I’ve read Lord Hornblower fewer times, and this re-read has reminded me why.

It’s still good, as all Foresters books are, but it’s certainly not among my favourite Hornblowers. It begins very well with Commodore Hornblower sent on a very difficult mission to suppress mutiny on a ship threatening to defect to France. There is some thrilling action and the usual ingenuity as he tackles the problem. This then leads to a bold plan to foment insurrection in the dying days of Bonaparte’s reign as Emperor and much of the book then takes place on land as Hornblower acts as official and diplomat in this delicate situation. This, and subsequent events are well enough done, but for me don’t have the dash and thrill of many of the earlier books, while the dealing with Hornblower’s psyche as he wrestles with affaires de coeur is rather more drawn out and clumsy than before.

I still enjoyed the book, but nothing like as much as its predecessors. I have rounded down from 3.5 stars which may be harsh, but reflects the drop in my enjoyment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment