Sunday 15 December 2019

Tayari Jones - An American Marriage


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me

I’m in the minority about this one, because I didn’t think much of An American Marriage. It started well enough but I got very bogged down and I’m afraid I gave up around page 150 and didn’t finish it.

The story is of Roy and Celestial, a black American couple and their friend Andre, who is there largely to provide a love triangle. The opening, narrated first by Roy, then by Celestial recounts their stormy but passionate marriage and then Roy’s unjust, racist conviction for a crime of which he is innocent. We then get an exchange of letters, mainly between Roy and Celestial, as Roy serves his time, and this is where things began to go badly wrong for me. I didn’t really believe in the characters, their writing styles didn’t convince me at all and all the voices sounded too similar for any realism. I also thought that, having made its initial, powerful point about the threat to black people in the USA, it descended into rather bland soap opera and, frankly, I lost interest.

I’m sorry to criticise, but this simply didn’t do it for me. Other contemporary authors write more powerfully about the experience of black people in the USA while also making their books compulsively readable; I’m thinking of Paul Beatty, Joe Ide, Attica Locke and others. For me, this isn’t in the same league and I’m afraid I can’t recommend An American Marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment