Friday 6 September 2019

William Shea - Conversations With Galileo


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Rather disappointing

I was rather underwhelmed by Conversations With Galileo. It’s not a bad insight into some of the man’s character and discoveries, but for me it had some pretty big flaws.

William Shea plainly knows a great deal about his subject and has a real enthusiasm for both Galileo and the times in which he lived. The book is structured in a series of brief chapters, each with a brief introduction and then in the form of some rather open questions from Shea and Galileo’s supposed answers. It’s a nice idea, but it doesn’t really come off for me, largely because Galileo’s voice is completely unconvincing. He describes events from his life and some of his work in very understandable terms, but it’s all about as natural as the 123-metre spire stuff about Salisbury from those two Russian...er...gentlemen. It’s stilted and rather awkward to read, and it’s not helped by a lack of focus in places. For example, the plague from 1630-33 was a catastrophic and influential event in Galileo’s life, but in such a short book the amount of time devoted to the plague itself rather than its influence and effect on Galileo was a real distraction.

I don’t mean to be too critical, but I did find the book unsatisfactory. Even the introduction by Dava Sobel (whose knowledge I respect greatly) was rather overblown for my taste. I think this would have been better as a simple, brief explanation of the man and his work, which I think Shea would do very well. The structure of imagined conversations didn’t do it for me and I can only give this a very qualified recommendation.

(My thanks to Watkins Publishing for and ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment