Sunday 29 September 2019

Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe's Tiger


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Disappointing

This is the first Sharpe book I have read and I’m afraid I don’t share the general enthusiasm for it.

Sharpe’s Tiger is chronologically the first Sharpe story. We find him as a private in India in 1799, first in serious trouble with his regiment and then involved as a spy in the siege of Seringapatam. It’s a fairly rollicking tale with plenty of action but it didn’t really engage me. I suppose I was hoping for a land-based version of C.S. Forrester or Patrick O’Brian, but I didn’t think this was a patch on them; it seemed stodgy and over-explained by comparison with none of the excellent characterisation or superb storytelling of either of the naval series. There is a good deal of pretty implausible action – for example, Sharpe endures 200 lashes which cause so much damage that actually expose a rib, but he’s fit for active duty almost immediately. There is a villain who is positively pantomimic in his clichéd antics...and so on.

I know I’m out of step with the majority on this one, but I wasn’t impressed. It’s not terrible, but I ended up skimming fairly extensively without feeling I was missing much and I probably won’t be bothering with the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment