Thursday 6 June 2019

Matt Morgan - Critical


Rating: 3/5

Review: 
Disappointing

I’m afraid I struggled a bit with Critical. Matt Morgan is plainly a good man and a very good doctor, but although the book has a noble aim and deals with important medical and human subjects, I found it difficult to relate to.

I should say first that I can understand all the very enthusiastic reviews form others. There is a lot of very interesting information here about a fascinating topic and I did learn a good deal. However, I had two main problems with the book. The first is that I found its tone a bit patronising in places. I know that it is difficult sometimes to convey complex medical and scientific ideas to non-medics like me, but there really is no need to sound as though you’re addressing a five-year-old, and I did bridle fairly often at the almost childish tone.

My second problem is (and I’m sorry to say this) that Matt Morgan simply isn’t a very good writer. He tries to bring the human stories of his patients to life for us, but they read like a bad novel, full of cliché (“a seventeen year old with the world at his feet,” for example) and over-florid writing which I’m afraid had the opposite effect on me than was intended, in that I couldn’t relate to the stories at all.

It seems churlish to criticise a book on such a subject and with a worthy motive, but the truth is that I was disappointed and although others have plainly enjoyed it very much, I can only give Critical a very qualified recommendation.

(My thanks to Simon and Schuster for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment