Sunday 16 June 2019

Jon McGregor - Reservoir 13


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me

I couldn’t get on with Reservoir 13 in the end, I’m afraid. There are things about it I like, but overall it just didn’t engage me.

The story is driven by the disappearance of a 13-year-old girl on the moor in an English village. Each chapter begins with the words “At midnight when the year turned...” and we get a sequence of almost snapshot images of events and people through each of the following thirteen years. It’s a curious but clever device, with a strange mixture of a sequence flat, sometimes almost staccato statements but of glimpses of strong emotion through them. There are long, long paragraphs which flit from one event and character to another without warning and for a while I thought it admirable that McGregor conveyed a lot while giving us so little description. The almost hypnotic effect is designed to draw us in, I suspect, but for me it began to pall after 100 pages or so. I found myself slogging through a lot of stuff with which I wasn’t engaged at all, so I gave up.

Plainly a lot of people have found this profound and affecting and I can sort of see why. It didn;t do it for me, though, and personally I can’t recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment