Monday 27 May 2019

Trevor Eve - Lomita For Ever


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Original but hard going

I am not surprised to see that people seem either to have loved or hated Lomita For Ever. In some ways, I did both; there’s a lot that’s good about it in that it has an original style and deals with some tough issues pretty well, but in the end I couldn’t really get on with it.

The book deals with Ever (short for Everett) whose mind seems to be coming apart following the death of his father and some shocking revelations leading to his separation from his wife and son. Frankly, for a good deal of the book, it’s not easy to say what the plot is; Ever has revenge of a kind in mind on someone whom he thinks destroyed his father but meets the very aged but still beautiful Lomita which throws everything into turmoil.

It’s an odd plot written in an odd style, and it was the style which eventually threw me out of the book. It is original and in some ways brilliant, but it’s also very hard to understand at times and began to get unbearably mannered. As a small but typical example, Chapter 13 begins:
“The firing range.
Did not require ear defenders with the Maxim 9...”
That weird fragmentation of sentences happens a lot and while it is atmospheric, it got me down in the end, especially when it made it very hard to know who had said what. I quite enjoyed the first 20% or so, slogged through another few chapters and then began to skim, I’m afraid.

On the one hand I admire Trevor Eve for his originality and courageous avoidance of a generic celebrity-author’s thriller, but on the other the book became a real chore after a while. Others have plainly enjoyed this far more than I did and you may too, but personally I can’t recommend it.

(My thanks to Unbound Digital for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment