Thursday 2 May 2019

Mark Billingham - Their Little Secret


Rating: 3/5

Review:
OK but not great

I thought Their Little Secret was OK, but no more than that. It’s my first Mark Billington so it won’t be helped by my not having read the previous books in the series, but even so I had my reservations.

Tom Thorne, an inspector in a serious crime unit, is called to an obvious suicide on London’s Underground but feels compelled to look further into the circumstances. (Really?) He is soon on the trail of a murderous couple, whose point of view we also get, intercut with the police narrative. It’s well enough done, but I found the psychologising and supposed parallels with Brady and Hindley a bit thin, as was the obligatory Personal Story of Thorne himself. Somehow, it all just clunked a bit for me so that although Billington avoids quite a lot of the clichés of the genre and generally writes pretty well, it never quite engaged me.

Overall, I found this competent rather than great. It would make a decent beach read, but I won’t be rushing to read another in the series.

(My thanks to Little, Brown for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment