Friday 7 December 2018

Karen Thompson Walker - The Dreamers


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good indeed

I thought The Dreamers was excellent. It’s a little hard to put my finger on exactly why, but I found it wholly involving, very thoughtful and genuinely touching in places.

A mystery illness begins to spread through a college campus in a remote California town. People fall asleep and, although they are obviously dreaming, they simply can’t be woken and the illness spreads quickly, causing national worry. The story sounds like a tediously familiar old trope, but Karen Thompson Walker makes it fresh and original. She does this partly by giving us the stories of a variety of characters affected in one way or another by the illness, which she does beautifully. These are recognisable people with recognisable emotions and responses, and Thompson Walker paints them beautifully. She catches the small, everyday events and internal responses which so define a life and a person so that I became very involved with each one of them.

Her other great strength is her style. Her prose is beautifully poised; it is unflashy but has a poetic rhythm to it and the whole book seems to have a quiet, almost soothing pulse to it, even when describing extreme events. This antithesis of the normal style of catastrophe fiction is extraordinarily effective and for me gave these events a far greater poignancy. It is just a pleasure to read.

As to what it’s actually about...well, it’s hard to be precise, but it’s important. Thompson Walker has things to say about the human condition, the wondrous complexity of the physical world and of the mind, the haphazard nature of existence and about what reality may be to a human consciousness. There are many fine, affecting stories here but one in particular about a “Dreamer” who is pregnant comes to a conclusion which I found truly moving and very thought-provoking.

I’m struggling to express clearly why I liked The Dreamers so much, but I did. I can recommend it very warmly indeed.

(My thanks to Scribner UK for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment