Sunday 2 December 2018

C.M. Taylor - Staying On


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Readable and thoughtful

I enjoyed Staying On – far more that I expected to from the synopsis, to be honest.

It is the story of Tony and Laney who have been living as ex-pats in Spain for many many years, where they own and run a pub. Tony is now seventy and as both age and Brexit take their toll, very few of his ex-pat friends remain and the pub is struggling. Tony wants to return to the Yorkshire of his youth while Laney refuses to set foot in England again. As their son, his wife and their 3-year-old son come out to stay after many years, old tragedies and guilts which have lain beneath the surface emerge and have a profound effect.

Frankly, it sounds rather familiar and not really like my kind of thing. However, C.M. Taylor writes very well, he creates convincing characters and structures the story very nicely, so that within a readable and engaging story, the book makes important points about families, the meaning of home, friendship, class and other things. I found it touching rather than profoundly moving, but that’s fine with me. I thought it was an unsentimental but compassionate view of a somewhat insular community of Brits abroad and Tony made a very recognisably human protagonist.

I liked the note in the acknowledgements: “I was told by men with expensive educations that people don’t want to read about the working classes. I’d like to thank those men for the motivation.” For me, Taylor has proved them wrong with this book and I can recommend it.

(My thanks to Prelude for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment