Friday 31 August 2018

Susan Hill - Old Haunts


Rating: 3/5

Review:
OK but nothing more

I think the Serrailler series has been brilliant so far, but I can’t really see the point of this very short story.

Old Haunts opens in the present day, when a rather clunky few pages stir Simon’s memories of a summer in the early 1990s when he was a young PC and was chosen for some undercover work. It’s decently written and has a couple of quite tense, unexpected moments; with a bit of revision it might have made a chapter in a novel set at that time of Simon’s career but as a short story it really doesn’t add up to much.

Old Haunts is OK and will pass an unobjectionable 20 minutes for Serrailler fans like me, but I really don't know why Susan Hill has bothered with it.

(My thanks to Vintage Digital for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment