Tuesday 7 August 2018

Len Deighton - The Ipcress File


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Still very good

The Ipcress File has aged remarkably well. It was first published in 1962 but I’d not read it before (although I thought I had!) and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing, the excellent sense of place, especially in London, and the laconic but quite realistic tone.

The Ipcress File a spy novel which is often bracketed with Ian Fleming and John le Carré and which seems to me to be something of a bridge between them, both chronologically and in style and content. Much more down-to-earth and realistic than Fleming (who had been producing Bond novels for almost a decade by then) but not as grimly downbeat as The Spy Who came In From The Cold which followed it three years later, it’s a very good read. The plot just about holds water, although I did get a little lost at times. It also depends too much on lengthy explanations at the end, but I didn’t mind too much because the prose is great and the unnamed narrator’s laconic style is just right; it’s believable and witty without being crammed with implausibly smart wisecracks and comebacks and I found it a pleasure to read.

“Classic” modern novels don’t always live up to their billing when read half a century later, but I think The Ipcress File stands up well. I enjoyed it and can recommend it warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment