Saturday 21 July 2018

Spencer Wise - The Emperor Of Shoes


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me

I’m afraid I didn’t get on very well with The Emperor of Shoes. I should have done, really – it’s well written and has a noble aim, but it completely failed to engage me.

Set in China in 2015, Alex is made to take over from his father as controller of the shoe factory he owns. The father is an uncaring, ruthless employer who exploits his workforce and treats them badly, while Alex has a conscience and has also fallen for a beautiful worker in the factory, who is also a fearless campaigner… I’m afraid it just felt like a very corny set-up. This is a serious work of fiction and very well written, but I really was constantly reminded of the Mill-Owner’s Son Falls For Factory Girl cliché. The romance didn’t convince me, I didn’t get much sense of place in China, the message seemed rather heavy-handedly presented and the Jewish Guilt stuff didn’t do a lot for me either.

I’m sorry to be critical of a well-written book with a fine purpose and one which many people have plainly found very good, but I’m afraid I had to struggle to keep going and I can’t recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment