Monday 16 July 2018

M.R.C. Kasasian - Betty Church and the Suffolk Vampire


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me


I didn't get on well with this book, I'm afraid.  It's the first Kasasian I have read and may well be the last.

Set in 1939, Sgt. Betty Church has lost half her left arm and is promoted to inspector  and sent to her home town in Suffolk to get her out of the way.  Suffolk has never admitted female police officers so…well, you can probably guess the welcome she receives.   There is a lot of local "colour" and lots of improbable murders happen, but I never had the sense of any sort of developing, involving story.

Part of the problem is that although Betty is a fairly engaging narrator and her feminism and toughness are fine qualities, the other characters are a parade of annoyingly pantomimic stereotypes: the unspeakably sexist, vulgar, incompetent, drunken, halitosis-ridden fellow-inspector, for example, or Dido, who combines all the worst aspects of Madeleine Bassett and Violet Elizabeth Bott, but without the brilliant comedic touch of either.  She became unreadably annoying very quickly – which is a real problem in an almost incessant presence.   This, coupled with the sense of just wading through descriptions with little narrative drive, meant that The Suffolk Vampire became a chore for me.  I stuck it out for about half the book, but couldn't face 400-odd pages of this stuff and skimmed most of the rest.

Plainly, Kasasian's books have been popular, but this really wasn't for me.  It's decently written, but I found it tedious and unfunny and can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment