Monday 28 May 2018

Simon Lelic - The Liar's Room


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me


Most other reviewers loved The Liar's Room, but I'm afraid I really didn't.  Although Simon Lelic can write very well, I found this unconvincing and a little formulaic, in spite of its rather original structure.

A new client arrives in a counsellor's office and quite quickly it emerges that he is there to torment the counsellor with her past and with other threats.  Both have been untruthful in many ways – hence the title – and the ensuing dialogue is a battle of wits between them as some ghastly truths emerge, with the obligatory present-time peril, of course, and some jumping between voices and timescales.

Perhaps it's just me, but I just couldn’t get involved. The set-up seemed implausible, the voice of a teenage girl's diary didn't ring true at all and the inevitable and frequent "She remembered…" episodes just seemed tediously formulaic.  I'm sorry to be critical, because I thought that Lelic's first novel, Rupture, was powerful and original.  However, that came from a place of real rage about his subject (bullying) while to me this is just another manufactured psychological thriller.  As such, it's decently done but it didn't offer me much in the way of new insight and didn’t really grip me in the way it seems to have done with other reviewers.

If you're a fan of psychological thrillers you may well enjoy this far more than I did, but it wasn't for me.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment