Saturday 5 May 2018

Emma Healey - Whistle In The Dark


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me


I'm afraid I didn't get on at all well with Whistle In The Dark.  Plainly a lot of other readers did and I'm in a small minority, but I found it rather clunky, needlessly slow and not very original in its insights.

The book opens with Jen and Hugh's daughter Lana arriving at hospital after having gone missing for four days while on holiday in the Peak District.  Lana insists that she cannot remember anything about what has happened and we are left guessing about whether this is true or not.  Oh, and their other daughter chooses that day to announce that she is pregnant by donor insemination and that she has split up with her (female) partner.

The book develops primarily into an examination of the relationship between insecure, emotionally clumsy Jen and Lana, the classic rude, recalcitrant teenager with a history of depression, self-harm etc. for good measure.  There is also some sisterly infighting to help things along.  Meanwhile Jen intrudes further and further into Lana's life to try to find out what has happened to her as the narrative jumps back and forth in time (as seems near-compulsory these days) and a rather tame story eventually emerges.

I'm afraid I found it dull and unoriginal.  The relationships and characters seemed very familiar to me from other books and the story certainly didn't hold my attention.  It seems to me that there was an awful lot of Creative Writing but not much in the way of worthwhile content.  Plenty of others have enjoyed this very much, but I'm sorry to say that I really didn't.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment