Saturday 28 April 2018

Liz Nugent - Skin Deep


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me


I wasn't very keen on Skin Deep, although that response is entirely personal.  Liz Nugent is s very fine writer, but I just didn't find this life-story of a manipulative, sociopathic woman very involving.

The opening is excellent as Delia, the 50-year-old narrator finds herself destitute in Nice with a corpse in her wrecked flat and intimations of the dishonest, Ripley-like way she has lived.  However, we then go back to her childhood on a small Irish island and follow her development as she grows up and becomes the almost monstrous character we meet at the beginning.  It's very well done; Nugent writes extremely well and creates a convincingly frightful character – as she did so well in the excellent Lying In Wait.  Here, though, for a very long time it is another Portrait Of A Dreadful Childhood And Adolescence In The Oppressive Ireland Of The Past and then more of a psychological study than a thriller or even an involving narrative.  I'm afraid I didn't find myself drawn in at all and I also found the brief inserts of narrative from other characters to show the damage Delia leaves behind her.  I even got rather bored, which I certainly didn’t expect from Liz Nugent.

So, I'm afraid Skin Deep wasn't for me.  Plainly, I'm in a pretty small minority but for all its oppressive atmosphere and clever characterisation, I can't really recommend it.


(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment